Omni Fiber Sewer Lateral Policy
This Sewer Lateral Policy is specifically written to address the following phases during underground construction within the Municipality:
- Utility and sewer lateral identification
- Construction procedures
- Sewer lateral strike response
Utility and Sewer Lateral Identification
To prevent lateral strikes, Omni Fiber and/or its representatives, contractors, or agents will follow Municipality construction safety standards and utilize the following methods and data to locate and identify laterals:
- 811 locate for utilities (sewer main, water, gas, other utilities) shall be completed prior to Omni Fiber moving forward with underground construction
- Municipality GIS Data
- Resident & Municipality feedback
- On- Site Inspection
Prior to any underground directional boring, Omni Fiber will place locate requests through 811. This establishes the baseline for where mains and other primary services (gas, water, etc.) are located, except for sewer laterals.
Underground construction within 36” of a sewer main
Omni Fiber will utilize 811 locate information, Municipality GIS data, on-site inspection, and resident feedback to establish potential spot dig locations on the planned underground path.
Spot dig locations will be used as a reference for measuring/confirming the depth of the sewer main and associated lateral. They will also be used as a reference for measuring/confirming the depth of the sewer main and associated lateral. In addition, spot dig locations will be spaced approximately every 30-50’ and will remain open during the construction phase of this underground segment.
Underground construction greater than 36” from a sewer main
Omni Fiber will utilize 811 locate information, Municipality GIS data, on-site inspection, and resident feedback to establish potential spot dig locations along the planned underground path.
Spot dig locations will be used as a reference for measuring/confirming the depth of the sewer lateral. In addition, spot dig locations will be spaced approximately every 100’ and will be centered to establish the depth of sewer laterals.
As a general rule, average directional boring depth is 24-36” and expected to be well above any sewer lateral.
Construction crews will utilize open spot dig locations during any underground directional boring activity to ensure we maintain separation from the main utility services and associated sewer laterals. Once complete with the placement of conduit, all open spot digs will be restored and repaired to their original state.
Sewer lateral strike response
Confirmed Strike During Construction
Omni Fiber and/or its representatives, contractors, or agents will perform the following steps:
- Immediate notification to the Municipal Engineer as well as the impacted resident at time of strike/impacted services and service restoral.
- Engage a Licensed Sewer Tapper to repair and restore functionality of the sewer lateral
- Direct compensation to the plumber for services rendered
- Restore premises to original state
- Facilitate or approve payment for necessary Customer property remediation
Post Construction Damage
The owner should engage a Licensed Sewer Tapper to identify the issue.
If a licensed plumber documents a sewer lateral strike caused by Omni Fiber activity, the following actions will occur:
- Notification to Omni Fiber via the online website: Link
- Include photographs of strike, location (address) details, and contact telephone number
- Contact the Customer service line at 844-844-OMNI (6664) and request escalation to a field supervisor for visual inspection due to potential utility strike
- Upon receipt of notification, Omni Fiber will notify the Municipal Engineer of the registered complaint.
- Omni’s expected response time will be less than 24 hours along with a determination of whether the damage was caused by Omni Fiber activity.
- Omni will approve payment for services of a Licensed Sewer Tapper and associated restoration.
Omni Fiber shall procure and maintain during the project and for a period of two (2) years following project completion a general liability insurance policy with a minimum single limit of liability of One Million Dollars (US$1,000,000.00) per occurrence and an annual aggregate of One Million Dollars (US$1,000,000.00) for bodily injury and/or property damage. Omni Fiber will provide the Municipality with a certificate of said insurance naming the Municipality as an additional insured and requiring that the insurance carrier give the Municipality at least thirty (30) day notice prior to cancellation of said policy.
Letter of Credit
In order to provide the Municipality additional assurance and security regarding restoration of the Public Rights of Way that may be caused by Omni Fiber’s project and its work within the Public Rights of Way, Omni Fiber shall procure and maintain during the project and for a period of two (2) years following project completion a Letter of Credit in an amount not less than Fifty Thousand Dollars (US$50,000.00) in a form acceptable to the Municipal Director of Law. The Municipality shall be entitled to draw upon such Letter of Credit in reasonable and responsible amounts when necessary following Omni Fiber’s failure or inability to perform reasonable restoration of the Public Rights of Way in a commercially timely manner.